The Mosquito District is hiring for one seasonal position (5 months).
The Mosquito Control Operator is responsible for identifying mosquito breeding sites, treating mosquito larvae and adults, communicating in a respectful manner with landowners, prescribing mosquito control methods, handling and applying larvicides, documenting treatments, attending educational events, participation in workshops and training courses, and following the rules and regulations set by the Cowlitz County Mosquito Control Board, the Washington Department of Agriculture and CCMCD policy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct field inspections and surveys mosquito breeding sites within the county boundaries as assigned to assist with surveillance, larviciding, and adulticiding according to 17.28 RCW.
- Recommends control methods to the public.
- Keep accurate records of all property visits and survey data.
- Walk, hike, and work in various physically challenging and hazardous terrains and weather.
- Manages routine activities and assures timely completion of work.
- May assist with planning projects and writing final reports.
- Attends continuing education classes, workshops, and training.
- Represent the program at community events and answer questions and concerns from the public.
- Complies with program rules and county policies.
- Able to occasionally adjust work hours to evenings and weekends if necessary due to the nature of the work and the program’s needs.
- Assists other personnel on a variety of project activities as appropriate.
- Maintains workplace and vehicles in a clean and organized manner.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Possess and maintain a valid Drivers License and safe driving record.
- Preference of knowledge of integrated pest management strategies.
- Comfortable working with larvicides: reading labels, properly mixing and applying larvicides.
- Possess, or obtain within 60 days from initial employment, a Washington State Pesticide Public Operators License and the necessary endorsements on the licenses as required by law.
Required Skills and Abilities:
Ability to facilitate conflict resolution in a respectful manner.
Ability to work independently and efficiently with limited supervision and make sound judgments.
Must be a self-starter with good organizational skills.
Ability to communicate ideas clearly and establish professional relationships with partner agencies and the public.
The ability to handle job stress and interact effectively with others in the workplace and the general public.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge or ability to learn mosquito identification and control methods.
- Working knowledge or ability to learn Washington State Mosquito Control law
- Ability to work or learn GPS units and Fieldseeker
- Familiarity navigating Cowlitz County areas.
The seasonal position will run from April 15th through August 30th. Interested applicants may contact the district manager Michael at 360-423-5311 or firstname.lastname@example.org